Dog Park Resources
See my dog body language page to learn more about dog body language and communication.
- Dog Parks: A Primer by Casey McGee of Upward Hound
- Is Your Dog's Rough Play Appropriate? by Barbara Smuts PhD & Camille Ward PhD
- Good Manners for Dogs & People in Off-Leash Parks by Kathy Sdao
- My Dream Dog Park by Tim Steele of Behavior Matters Academy
- Let Your Dog Tell You If They Want to Go to a Dog Park by Dr. Marc Bekoff
While the resources above can help if you have concerns about taking your dog to the dog park, working with a qualified dog trainer can be extremely beneficial. Dog training is an unregulated industry, which means anyone can call themselves a dog trainer, even without any formal training or education. It's even legal for trainers to use outdated methods that scientific research has shown can worsen fear and aggression and that damage the human-dog bond. Connecting dog guardians with educated, experienced and humane trainers is something Coexistence Consulting is very passionate about. Please contact me with your location, and I can recommend an animal behavior professional near you. You can also read more about how to choose a dog trainer here.